23 août 2010

...et contre tous

« For the first week, I had a wonderful time in China. Warren was most attentive and we visited the captains of the British and American ships – many of whom had their wives with them – and we had many happy little tea parties and luncheons on the ships. I also visited the shore and went through the hongs or warehouses of the European merchants and dined with them at their clubs.

« A few days after this Sunday orgy, he came aboard one night slightly tipsy and I overheard him telling the mate that he had « blanketed the Johnny Bulls » and had secured an extra two pounds sterling per ton freight on the new season’s teas and a quick dispatch for London. « I got it, » he said, « by making a bet of a thousand dollars each with the shippers and skippers of the Min Ho and Roderick Dhu that I’d be the first ship to dock in London River, and they’ve taken me up. » Then followed some orders to Mr. Palmer about the making of extra sails and spars. « I’m planning to crack on or drive her to hell! »
Frederick William Wallace Tea from China and other yarns of the sea 1926 Musson Book Company (Toronto)

Aucun commentaire: