10 février 2015

Planter

« From someone called Edward Butler. »
Butler nodded, « My father. »
« It’s dated six years ago, » said Taylor. « Your father writes, « Dear Mr Compton, Thank you for your hospitality on the occasion of my recent visit to Ceylon. On my return to England I gave much consideration to the conversation we had with Mr Thwaites on 10th February last, regarding the experimental planting of tea. I have decided that the eastern slope of Tondipgiri should be planted with tea seed and I would be grateful if you would visit Mr Thwaites and make arrangements to expedite this matter. Please include a report on the growth of the tea in your annual report. »
« Well, well, well, » and Taylor gave Butler the letter. « So your father obtained tea seed from George, did he? »
Butler was completely lost.
« I don’t know what you’re talking about, » he said. « Who’s George? »
« George Thwaites, » said Taylor. « The director of the Royal Botanic Gardens right here in Ceylon. There’s nobody knows more about tea than him; he’s the fellow who started me off with seed ten years ago. »

Geoffrey Bird One Man’s Empire Macmillan New Writing 2008


Aucun commentaire: